Thanks to the success of LibreFest 2020 earlier this year, the LibreTexts team is already hard at work planning the next installment which will run right before the OpenEd 20 conference, from November 4-6. Registration is free.
- considering an OER because you are concerned about high textbook prices and the pressure that puts on your students?
- considering an OER so you can be more flexible this coming year with regard to hosting your courses remotely or in-person?
- a long-time user of OERs and want to see what LibreTexts has to offer?
Whatever the reason for your interest, this free two-day conference/workshop will give you a chance learn about LibreTexts in time to use it in one or more of your courses (Register here.)
Three hands-on workshops will allow you to:
- see what is possible in an online platform when you aren’t restricted to a paper book
- examine a few of the hundreds of textbooks that already exist in LibreTexts
- learn how to create your own custom version of a textbook using the LibreTexts Remixer
The primary goal of LibreFest is to introduce potential users to the LibreTexts project and offer some hands-on experience with creating and/or adapting OER using LibreTexts powerful editing and remixing tools. Our team is very excited about all the advantages high quality open education resources provide for teaching faculty and students. Now more than ever OER play an important role in relieving some the stress caused by the sudden, and unplanned move to virtual classrooms earlier this year. Perhaps even more importantly OER can be used to build contextualized materials for education that far exceed traditional static print resources.
Here is the schedule, all times PT (note: some details subject to change):
Wednesday, November 4:
10-11: General Project Overview
11-12: Faculty Panel (faculty discuss how they use LibreTexts to create/adapt/teach with OER)
12:15-1:45: Hands on: Remixing OER in LibreTexts
2:00-3:30: Hands on: Basic editing in LibreTexts
3:30-5:00: Virtual Social Event and Scavenger Hunt
Thursday, November 5:
10:00-10:30: Power of the LibreVerse
10:30-11:30: Adapt and Query (Learn about LibreTexts new homework and assessment system)
11:30-12:30: Hands on: Advanced features in LibreTexts
1:00-2:30: Discipline specific presentations (faculty discuss how they use LibreTexts in their courses)
2:30-3:00: Closing remarks
Friday, November 6: Reserved for LibreNet Members
10-10:30: Opening remarks
10:30-12: Open forum for LibreNet Members to ask questions
12-12:30: Closing remarks
Be sure to follow #LibreFestFall20 on Twitter and Facebook!
The LibreTexts team can be reached any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.